Ravens Roster Decisions.
August 28, 2008Posted by on
The Ravens play their final preseason game tonight against the Falcons and with the impending cuts this weekend many decisions will be finalized. There are 22 more cuts required by August 30th to get below the 53 man roster limit and as expected the Ravens are going to have to make some tough decisions. Making things tougher are the injuries they’ve been facing all camp/preseason. Below is a list of the many things up in the air for the Ravens, most if not all of these will be answered by Saturday:
- Kyle Boller sustained a serious shoulder injury in the preseason game against the Vikings. The initial MRI was not favorable, but Boller may be abled to avoid season ending surgery and play at some point this year. The Ravens will get a second opinion on August 29th, but they may not be able to stash Boller on the Roster if he will be out for an extended amount of time.
- Troy Smith has tonsillitis and is taking antibiotics. He will probably miss the final preseason game, but should get better. If the antibiotics don’t help him get over it, he’ll have to have the tonsil(s) removed and could miss a few weeks. He was expected to get an extended look in game conditions during the preseason, but has not had that opportunity. Has he won the QB job by default because of Boller’s injury or has he opened the door for Flacco to win the job?
- With all of the QB issues, will the Ravens try to keep a forth QB on the roster? They’ve acquired Casey Bramlet, but if Boller is done for the year will they go after a vet?
- Gary Stills is an excellent special teams player, but might get cut because of his age and a numbers game. Brenden Ayanbadejo was acquired to be the “new” special teams ace and to help contribute more as a linebacker. Stills hasn’t been able to contribute much more than on special teams.
- Are the Ravens going to have room to keep McCune or McClain as backup linebackers? Who are the backups at inside linebacker with Lewis and Scott in the final years of their contracts?
- Martin, Pittman and Prude are battling for one or two cornerback spots. Martin might have a serious shoulder injury that could land him on IR. Prude has performed terribly in the preseason. Frank Walker seems to be safe, but he has performed badly.
- Will the Ravens keep an extra defensive linemen because of their injuries this preseaon? J’Vonne Parker has pushed for more playing time and the Ravens just re-acquired Marques Douglas via trade.
- How many WR’s will the Ravens keep and will Marcus Smith have to go on IR?
- Are Reed and McGahee healthy enough to play week 1 or this season at all?
- Will the Ravens keep a third running back?