More Ravens Cuts and Practice Squad Notes.
September 1, 2008Posted by on
- Defensive lineman J’Vonne Parker was cut and defensive lineman Lamar Divens who had recently been cut by the San Diego Chargers was signed to replace him. Parker had impressed coaches this preseason so he might return.
- Kicker Steve Hauschka was signed to get the roster to a full 53. He would probably fill in as a kickoff specialist week one if he is still on the roster and active.
- Four players were added to the practice squad: QB Casey Bramlet, WR Justin Harper, WR Ernie Wheelwright and OL Joe Reitz.
- Although it hasn’t been announced by the Ravens yet, Marcus Mason who led the NFL in rushing yards gained for the Washington Redskins during the preseason has also been added to the practice squad according to the washington post. With only two regular running backs on the 53 man roster in McGahee and Rice (with McGahee coming off surgery only four weeks ago), Mason’s agent explained that it was beneficial for Mason to sign with the Ravens over the Redskins. The Redskins have Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright at running back who would have been ahead of him on the depth chart.
- Troy Smith is still battling sickness and rumors are growing louder that Kyle Boller may land on the IR in the coming days to make room for the Ravens to sign another QB. As it stands now, they only have one healthy QB on the active roster.
- Two players are suspended for week one (Fabian Washington and Derrick Martin) which will force two roster moves once they become active for week two. Martin might go on IR if his shoulder injury persists.